Read the full report here
It explored why cancer survival in England still lags behind other countries.
Department of Health and Social Care and NHS England should:
- Develop specific plan to address gaps in diagnostic workforce, short-term and long-term shortages in key professions and level of investment required to deliver sustainable long-term increases.
- Publish a detailed analysis of the extent of the cancer backlog to support the delivery of the elective care recovery plan.
- Set out an estimate of what level of additional capacity in NHS cancer services will be needed to address the backlog in cancer services and treatment by March 2023.
- Set out an action plan to ensure that NHS cancer services are able to provide this additional capacity above normal levels.
- The new Office for Health Improvement and Disparities should conduct a rapid review of existing evidence of the impact of demographic factors on cancer outcomes and commits to developing a joint strategy with NHS England to address disparities in outcomes
Here’s what the committee Chair Jeremy Hunt said about its key findings & recommendations to the Government.
Watch the video here explaining what needs to be done featuring our very own chair Prof Pat Price.