Here’s a sample list of questions that you might want to ask your medical team.
Questions for your treatment team prior to treatment
- Can you please explain how the radiotherapy works i.e. how does it attack the cancer and why is it the best option for my type of cancer?
- What are the benefits of the treatment you are advising me to have?
- What are the success rates for this treatment – nationally and for this hospital?
- Will radiotherapy cure my cancer or relieve the symptoms?
- Am I having external or internal radiotherapy and can you please explain why?
- What are the risks, if any, of this treatment?
- What are the risks if I decide not to have this treatment?
- Is there an alternative treatment?
- How long will each individual treatment take, how many will I need per week and for how many weeks (i.e. how many treatments will I need in total?)
- What will the treatment be like and how long will it take?
- Can you explain exactly what will happen before and during treatment?
- Is the treatment area going to be marked on my skin with ink?
- How will I feel immediately after treatment?
- What are the side effects of the radiotherapy treatment I am having? Is there anything I can do to alleviate/avoid them?
- How will my doctor know if my treatment has worked?
- What kind of clothes should I wear?
- Will I need to stay in the hospital?
- How will treatment affect my life e.g. regular activities, driving, relationships, exercise, and diet?
- Will I need to take any special precautions e.g. stay out of the sun
- When will I need follow-up appointments and for how long?
- Who should I contact if I have questions or concerns, during my treatment or once my treatment has finished?
We currently provide support via email. All our advisers are trained radiotherapy professionals who can offer support to anyone going through radiotherapy treatment. Contact us here.